Facilities Support Services
What you can do to help
- LIGHTING Turn off lights when they are not needed. Can you open blinds or curtains to allow natural daylight sources into the room? In some cases lighting is essential in the teaching room but don’t forget to turn them off as you leave the room.
- AIR CONDITIONING If heating/air conditioning is used, try and keep it at a maximum of 21°C adjusting the temperature uses more energy. When using the air conditioning system make sure that windows and doors are closed, this will help the system to run much more efficiently.
- RECYCLING Encourage your audience to take their handouts with them and if they do not require them put them in paper recycling bins located around the building. Encourage the use of can and bottle recycling. This will also help make the rooms more presentable for following classes. If you print handouts for your class and you have some left over – recycle them too.
- HEATING If rooms are too hot – use the radiator controls before opening the windows. Opening the windows and leaving radiators on wastes a lot of energy. If you find rooms or areas that are always too warm please contact the Helpdesk and report the issue. (Contact Helpdesk x35555 or firstname.lastname@example.org )
What we are doing
Facilities Support Services is committed to recycling as much waste as possible. We also are committed to helping departments and charities who can benefit from items we can no longer use.
- Pens – whiteboard markers that are dried up and no longer fit for purpose are sent to a recycling centre called Terra Cycle UK who donate 2p per pen to MacMillan Cancer on our behalf. In the past 12 months we have raised over £70. If you find marker pens that are no longer working, leave them in the room instead of putting them in the bin so we can increase the donations.
- Projector lamps – Projector lamps that have expired are sent back to suppliers for them to reuse. This reduces the amount of dangerous chemicals released into the environment.
- Paper – paper and handouts found in Central Teaching Space that has only been printed on one side are collected and sent to Bright Beginnings ( the University nursery) to use as scrap paper and for art and craft activities.
- Cleaning products – empty product tins and containers are disposed of correctly via a University approved contractor so that dangerous chemical waste is not released into the environment.
- We have reduced the amount of batteries that Facilities Support Services purchased over the past year. Rechargeable lapel microphones have been installed in Central Teaching Space as a trial and hopefully more are to follow in the next refurbishment. If you require any training with them or any equipment please contact the Helpdesk x35555 or email@example.com.
Environmental and Sustainability Policy
Facilities Support Services is committed to the policies on environmental responsibilities set out by the University of Leeds and the Facilities Directorate. Our main aims are listed below.
- Projector lamps and cleaning fluids containing harmful chemicals to the environment will always be disposed of in an environmentally friendly way by a University approved contractor.
- Facilities Support Services will investigate effective power management systems for use in Central Teaching Space.
- All toner cartridges used by Facilities Support Services will be recycled by a company who donates money to biodiversity charities.
- Scrap paper and handouts left in Central Teaching Space will be recycled where possible to organisations to use for art and craft activities.
- Staff are trained on sustainable purchasing and related environmental impacts.
- Staff are instructed to turn off lights and PC related equipment when not in use.